If you are interested in scheduling this presentation, please completed the Presentation Request or Program Interest Form Below with any questions or comments.
Mental Health Chat is a program developed by NAMI Fox Valley and is a mental health awareness presentation given to elementary age students. NAMI Wisconsin has been given permission to expand the program state wide. The target population is 4th graders (3rd – 5th) and the presentation is given by someone living with a mental illness or someone who is a family member of someone with a mental illness. The presentation is about 40 – 45 minutes with a curriculum follow-up for teachers provided.
The presentation is given in a fun and caring way with the goals:
- Educate elementary students about mental illness and NAMI
- Help elementary students understand that getting medical help for a mental illness is good and similar to getting medical help for a broken arm or the flu
- Educate elementary students that one in five people live with a mental illness
- Provide positive coping skills for dealing with strong emotions.
- Teach students how to help themselves or a friend identify an adult they can talk to if feeling sad/depressed/anxious
The presentation includes:
- A description of mental illness and why it’s sometimes hard to understand, and tell them about NAMI
- Reading of a book about feelings/mood
- A whiteboard presentation on mental illness, getting help, one in five using stick figure drawings
- A relaxation exercise using Go Noodle
- Follow-up curriculum for teacher to do an activity about feelings, coping skills and make a list of who they can talk to in the school or home about their feelings.
For more information on how to bring this this fun & interactive presentation to your school fill out the interest form at the bottom of the page.
Free Mental Health Presentations If you are interested in bringing a presentation about mental health and/or suicide awareness to your organization, school, work place, etc., please complete the form below.
IS YOUR ORGANIZATION INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH? Education promotes wellness!
There are many ways to advocate for our voice to be heard.
NAMI In Our Own Voice advocacy presentations change attitudes, assumptions and stereotypes about people with mental health conditions. These free, 45- or 60- minute presentations provide a personal perspective of mental illness, as presenters with lived experience talk openly about what it’s like to live with a mental health condition.
Our trained presenters humanize the misunderstood, highly stigmatized topic of mental illness by showing that it’s possible—and common—to live well with a mental health condition. This presentation also provides:
- A chance to ask presenters questions, allowing for a deeper understanding of mental health conditions and dispelling of stereotypes and misconceptions.
- The understanding that every person with a mental health condition can hope for a brighter future.
- Information on how to learn more about mental health and get involved with the mental health community.
What People are Saying
- “Amazing presentation with amazing presenters! You 100% erased any stigma I used to associate with mental illness.”
- “Several of the mental health staff stated that they saw recovery as a real option—for the first time ever.”
- “Presenting this program is the single most effective thing I am doing to maintain my mental health. Time after time, I see the audience respond with curiosity and interest. I know I am changing the face of mental illness and that I have transformed my pain into the power to make a difference.”
Interested in hosting or attending a NAMI In Our Own Voice presentation? We’d love to hear from you!